From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:56:06 -0700
1.
> Both the cable and dsl claim you can only use it for one computer.  Are
> they just trying to get more money from me?  Isn't that what a cable
> router is for?

  The "cable router" connects to your equipment using Ethernet on one side,
and the cable system on the other.  Often this unit, or at least its
configuration, is supplied as part of the service.
  A router (or a PC running suitable software) can join an entire Ethernet
LAN (on one side) to an Ethernet LAN on the other side; if it implements NAT
(Network Address Translation), the entire LAN on one side can appear to be a
single device to the other side.  This is what you have in mind.

  The providers' "one computer" policy means that (a) they will not help you
set this up, and (b) if they discover that you're doing this, thay can
choose to discontinue your service.

2.
> Or is what they're talking about the 'static ip' thing... do I need
> cable/dsl that has a static ip address for the router to split it?

  No.  The difference between a static and a dynamic address is that a
dynamic address can change over time, and/or be set/changed from their end.
A static address doesn't change.  Although there are third-party solutions
for use with dynamic addresses, basically if you wanted to host your own
domain servers (web, email, etc) you'd want one or more static addresses.
That would allow other machines to have references to your hosts that would
not suddenly go out of date because your address changed.

3.
> I have zonealarm free edition.  Can I just switch it to lock internet
> traffic when we turn the computers off?  Don't know if anyone knows
> about that program.  Is there a way to disconnect the computer, can
> people access your computer over the internet with cable/dsl when it is
> off?  For example can you unplug the dsl plug from the wall and plug it
> back in and still be connected to the internet, not cause any problems
> with the host?

  Nobody can do anything to your computer while it is turned off or
disconnected.
  ZoneAlarm Free Edition is a fine program, and a pretty good starting
place.  You definitely want *something* to do that job.

David Gillett