Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 23:28:37 +1000
Bob,

if you like, I would add few more examples.

1) at the company I work for, we burn every pc before ship out, the burn-in
process is very hard to components, which results much more heat than normal
operation, especially from harddisk. during burn-in stage, no case cover
should be closed as it is easier to replace failed parts, and if I do watch
how hot the computer can run to. during the burn-in test, with case off,
only harddisk is a bit warm, every thing else is cool (of course cpu fan and
fan on graphics card are warm). However, if I put case on, I can feel the
whole case become warm soon, and if I open the case cover, I can feel hot
air straight to my face (and everything is hot hot hot). even many cases
have 2nd case fan, this situation won't change. (again, I'm not talking
about server case)
2) open case will let hot air go straight away, no need of "airflow" or
extra usless case fans, I do this on my own computer when ever the weather
is hot, so that my computer will run at room temp. even it's a really hot
day (say 40c), my computer will still run at a bit more than 40c which is
more than better than most cooling solutions. **I do have a slot fan under
graphices card to help cool it down when case if closed.

Jun Qian