From:
Dave Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2014 10:46:19 -0700
I would try some other things before I "throw the baby out with the bathwater".

Uninstall unnecessary programs that you can re-install from disc or the net.  You can install them later and repairs/cleaning will take less time.

Try repairing Windows from your install or restore disc.

Do you use any kind of cleaner after your web sessions?  e.g., SlimCleaner, CCleaner or even Glary?  SlimCleaner is MS certified.  This step will stop you from having problems, but may actually repair some of the damages.

Have you used Process Manager to identify what programs are messing with your PC performance?  MS and SlimCleaner have these capabilities and use the Cloud to tell you about the programs hogging your resources.

Try System Restore in Safe Mode to an old point where you were reasonably clean.  Reboot.  Install SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) and/or MalwareBytes (MAB).  NOTE: only install freeware from the manufacturer's website.  Even CNET messes with you now.  Watch for default checked junkware and uncheck them during installation!!

Reboot into Safe Mode.  Run SAS or MAB in full scan.   Get rid of any malware, trackers, etc.  SAS has several useful things under its System Tools and resources to address persistant files and unwanted programs.

Shut down.  Fresh boot.  Let everything load.

I would NEVER have Windows Update on Automatic.  Use "download and notify me".  Many of the updates just gum you up.  You can stay safer with good habits, regular cleaning, and regular Full Scans.

Don't save passwords and usernames.  Use a good Firewall.  I use Norton NIS 3-PC license on disc, and stay away from free Security software.

Have 4 active machines on XP and Win7.  Only once had to re-install an OS.  Of course this was on a teenager's Win7 machine.  Otherwise, habits, Firewall, regular cleaning, SAS scans, and occasional reviews of Startup programs and Services.

Anyway, good luck.
David