From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 17:39:43 -0500
At 01:23 PM 3/24/1998  DAVID GILLETT  wrote:

>  For a non-OverDrive MMX CPU, it needs to use Socket 7 -- and we've
> pretty much established that yours does.
>  But the other thing it needs is "split voltage"; I/O at 3.3v and
>"CPU core" somewhat lower, typically about 2.8-2.9v.  I doubt that
>there has ever been a 430FX board built that provides this.  So you'd
>need either a voltage regulator (such as the PowerLeap "PowerStacker"
>or similar) to fit between the socket and MMX CPU, or one of Intel's
>MMX OverDrive CPUs (which include the rectifier).

Just a note:

I have seen motherboards with dual voltage settings that are
NOT P-55C compliant (MMX).

"The MMX CPUs won't work," said a Shuttle Co. technician said
of the older Spacewalker motherboards albeit with split voltage.

If you do get the CPU to actually work, the MMX instruction set
will likely NOT work.  This is regardless of any BIOS upgrade.

With the K-6 200 (MMX) just under $100 and decent P54C/55C
motherboards starting at $70, it makes little sense to try this
upgrade when the chances of success are nil. Sell your existing
CPU/motherboard for $70 or more and upgrade the subsystem,
and you will be ahead of the game.

Or just get a classic P-200 for $140.

Regards,

John Chin