From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2009 12:37:08 +1000
Bob wrote:
>The OS is on a small partition on the C: drive. I assume this is common
>practice nowadays, but don't know why and it doesn't seem reliable to me.>>

It's normal practice to put the OS on one small partition and everything
else on a separate partition.

With everything on one single partition, if you ever lose Windows or get a
bad virus infection and have to reformat, you'll lose everything on your
computer.

With data and software on a separate partition, you only need to reformat C
and your data won't be lost.

For the same reason, it's not a good idea to save anything important direct
to the Desktop. Desktop is part of Windows and its contents will disappear
if you lose Windows.

There's an old computer law which says that your system will go down the
day before you were going to backup everything.

Don Penlington