Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:28:30 -0400
It sounds more like a monitor internal problem rather than a cable.
However in answer to your question--No you won't need special tools but all models are different. Make careful note of the connections.  Most models use plugs although some soldering may be necessary.

Be careful of charged electrolitic capacitors and especially the CRT  high voltage connection. Such can be shocking but not death dealing.
Although some folks will tell you otherwise.

mikemichel

 --- On Tue 07/15, Howard Rubin wrote: Can I replace a monitor cable?

I've never opener up a monitor  before (last thing was a Hallicrafters<br>Kinescope!) and I want to replace a video cable.  The monitor when pluged in any  computer) turns very dark, indicating there is a connection, so I believe the cable is bad.  How difficult is this, do I need any special tools?

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com