From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:15:53 -0500
I am currently getting internet service via a DirecWay satellite receiver.  It goes from a DirecWay modem
into a USB port on my computer.  I share the service with my wife's computer via a hard-wired ethernet
connection.  (Although it is expensive, I have been happy with DirecWay.)

Friday morning I will transfer over to WildBlue in place of DirecWay.  (These are supplied through my
R.E.C.)  WildBlue will use an ethernet connection, so I can now use a router to give a direct connection
to both my computer and my wife's computer.  (Her download speeds have been about one-fourth those that I
have enjoyed because of the overhead of going through my computer.  I am sure that she will enjoy the new
speeds!)

I need to purchase a router, and I know almost nothing about them.  Therefore, I am soliciting advice
from you.

I would like the router to have the following three features, if possible, in decreasing order of
importance.

1) Provide 1.5MB/sec transfer speed

2) Provide as secure a connection (firewall?) as is reasonable for the cost

3) Permit interconnection between our two computers

Cost is not of significant concern (up to several hundred dollars), if the features that I get for the
money are worth it.

The tech I just spoke with recommended LinkSys.  Also Consumer Reports said to get wireless ("only costs
a few dollars more").  I suppose that wireless would be ok, if it would not compromise my three criteria
stated above.

My questions are,
   1.  Is it possible to have all three criteria met?
   2.  Can you recommend a hardware solution?
   3.  Is wireless the way to go?

Thanks in advance,

Dean Kukral   [log in to unmask]

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: