From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 11:30:10 -0800
On 22 Mar 98 at 22:44, Michi Imamura wrote:

> I was trying to locate the motherboard's bus speed.  How does one go
> about boosting it up?  I've heard of increasing performance by increasing
> the bus speed.  I have a VX MOBO.  What speed is it?  I checked on a few
> websites and they said that it will accept up to a 66mhz bus clock
> speed.  What is that? How do I find what mine is?

  Standard speeds for Pentium motherboards are 50 (P75), 60 (P60,
P90, P120, P150?), and 66 (P66, P100, P133, P166, P166MMX, and so
on ...) MHz.  Obvious 66 MHz is most common, and most VX motherboards
probably run at that speed.
  SOME motherboards can also be set to run at 75 MHz, and a few at 83
MHz.  Some Cyrix CPUs are spec'd to run at these speeds, and many AMD
and Intel CPUs may also work at these speeds.
  These speeds work best on high-quality "premium" motherboards, and
are not usually even present on something like a VX board.  I'm not
aware of a technical reason why a VX board could not offer them, but
the kind of user who wants these speeds is likely to buy a premium
board and so there's little incentive for board-makers to provide
them.

  There is probably a set of jumpers on the board to select CPU
speed.  They may not be separately labelled; on some systems, they're
listed along with voltage and multiplier settings in a table that
just shows settings for particular CPUs.

  Your best source of information is the manual that should have come
with your motherboard.

David G