From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 01:03:48 -0500
At 10:59 AM 11/04/2001 Steve Dias wrote:
>I'm about to begin building a PC for a friend. It'll be an AMD XP processor
>on an ATX mobo, and will be strictly for home use. It will have only one
>hard drive, floppy, and a CDRW drive, with a possible upgrade to DVD in the
>future. The only catch is that he wants a Desktop style case to fit into his
>existing furniture setup.....

Steve:

Two companies that make acceptable desktop cases are Antec and Enlight. See:

  http://www.antec-inc.com/product/cases/enclosu.html

  http://enlightcorp.com/pc_cases/7200.shtml

The college has several of the Enlight 7200 cases and these are acceptable,
value-oriented cases. In my opinion, Antec cases are somewhat better in
design and construction. You'll notice that high quality cases seem to be
found exclusively in the realm of towers.

Also, your friend's furniture may not accept an ATX desktop case because it
essentially (usually) has the same dimensions as a mid-tower case on its
side; ergo, check for height clearance.

300 watts of clean power should be sufficient. Case cooling fans are helpful.

Good luck.

John Chin

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com