From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:36:57 -0500
On 6/16/2011 10:39 PM, DENISE ROCHE wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm finally going to do it- build my first PC. I have a case already. My needs are: no gaming, lots of multitasking, graphics programs, multiple monitors, lots of data, home and school use with later use for work (writing), multimedia (I do not use a TV, my PC is my entertainment center), and (most importantly) as "future proof" as I can get it. I need this PC to be able to handle what I throw at it for 10 years or more. I know that's a tall order, but I believe it can be done.
>
> I am a college student at the moment, and I attend school online. I often have 10 or more windows open when I am writing a research paper. My current PC is Windows XP Pro. I am going to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional. I'll be keeping everything 32 bit until I know that I can upgrade to 64 bit without adverse affects. I have a new Windows 7 Professional 32 bit laptop, so I know what Windows 7 is like already. I get all of my TV and some of my movies online.
>
> I'm poor, so I have to choose carefully. This is the motherboard and processor bundle I am looking at:
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6917854&csid=ITD&body=REVIEWS#tabs
>
> I will also need to get a video card, some memory, the power supply, and an optical drive so that I can test the new build when I put it together. I can add components over the next few months. I'll be buying in July, so I am open to suggestions and comments.
>
> So, what do you all think of the bundle I chose? Would you choose it or another set? I will sink most of my money into the motherboard, processor, and power supply, so this is the most important place to choose carefully.
>
> Denise
Denise, I think that it's great that you're taking this big step, but I
suggest that it's unreasonable for you to expect that your new build is
going to last "ten years."  You'll be lucky to be happy with it four
years from now.

However, to maximize the useful lifetime, there are some things that you
can do.  First of all get a good, large case, preferably a light one, as
a college student is likely to be moving a lot over the next ten years.
A good, large case is a pleasure to use, has no sharp edges, and will
not be likely to need to be replaced for many years, maybe even ten.
Second, get a good monitor that you like.  (Monitors?)   A monitor is
likely to remain useful through several computer upgrades.  Get a good
power supply of 800 watts or more.  We at PCBUILD are partial to PC
Power and Cooling power supplies, but they're not suitable for budget
applications.  Corsair has good ratings (check on Amazon.com and
NewEgg.com for ratings from other users.)   I would look for the kind
with removable cables as they can keep the clutter down quite a bit.
Finally, get a good quality keyboard and a mouse that you really like.

These are all the things that have some hope of lasting for ten years
and keeping you happy over that time.

Your DVD player won't last ten years.  I'd bet money on it.  In any
case, that technology turns over rapidly.

You'll want to swap out your cpu, memory, and motherboard after they get
to be old technology.  If you have a good, large case, then that will be
easy.  (You can get a nice RocketFish case at Best Buy for about $120,
give or take a few dollars.)  So, don't get carried away spending money
on the latest and greatest, because three months from now they'll be
dated.  Get something that's been around for six months or so and is
proven.  Trust me, no matter how much you spend, you won't be using it
ten years from now - not on the things that you want it for.  For email,
sure, but not for high-tech toys...

BTW, I went to check out that link to Tiger, but it just took me to a
generic page.

Have fun,

Dean Kukral

                         support at our website: