From:
"Paul J. Traynor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:38:55 -0000
Hi,

I have been trying to  understand why a cd rom device isn't working in
windows 98.  The pc is a "pakard-bell" "700 mhz" with "64 megs of memory".
Each time I place a cd in the drive and either try and auto load it or go
into my computer and click on it there it will say the cd is not formatted,
would you like to format it now but this isn't a  cdr device just a standard
cd device so i answer no.
Beside the drive letter assigned in my computer there appears no label which
would normally so it isn't seeing the cd disk properly.  Also, there are
along with the usual drive letters of "a and c, also d, and e".  I am sure d
is the drive letter assigned to the cd rom but can't account for the e
letter and wasn't sure how it got there but perhaps this when I  tried
setting up a dos drive letter, maybe windows is  seeing it also.  There is
no particion on the hard drive which I am aware off so don't think it could
be that.

I have tried unloading the driver in device manager, normally and through
save mode with no difference but strangly enough when I load up the pc on a
floppy disk and select  to have it load with cd rom support it works fine so
this I feel tells me there is nothing wrong with the cd device, right!.

Can someone offer me possible suggestions as to why this is giving trouble
in windows.

Regards,

Paul.

---