From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 14:11:24 -0800
On 1 Feb 99, at 7:36, Peter Shkabara wrote:

> The connection speed that is reported can be either the BAUD rate
> between the computer and the modem, or the bps (bits per second) rate
> that is of more interest to most users. The BAUD rate for the COM
> port (computer to modem) should be set as high as possible, usually
> 115200. This allows the modem to get as much data as it can handle -
> the modem controls how much information is actually delivered.

  BAUD is a technical measurement of bandwidth on a line.  Modems up to
about 1200bps uses signalling protocols where 1 bps happened to be
equal to 1 baud, but the breakthrough to 2400 involved breaking this
coincidence.
  It is correct to report either speed in bps.  Because a lot of people
got into the nasty habit of conflating baud and bps when their
measurements were the same, it is pretty acceptible to call a speed (in
bps) "baud" -- in all but the most arcane contexts, your audience will
understand that you mean bps.

  But it has never been true that one leg of this connection is rated
in bps, and the other in baud.

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html