Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 10:35:32 -0400
> i think this makes sense, altho i have no idea whether critical components
>actually run cooler with the cover off or on. i guess the only way to
>really know would be to measure the temp on a bunch. i don't have an
>appropriate thermometer, tho.

   The important element in my opinion is that ventilator fans are typically
that---uncooled fans. If you had a car with no air conditioning wouldyou
run it with vents open and the windows closed? Not in the summertime.But
if
a computer had true airconditioning cooling fans then it would make senseto
contain that cool air with the cover closed...just like a car with air
conditioning. With just fans you will probably cool a case better withdoors
removed if the room temperature is cool. YMMV.

Later,

Russell Smith
Edtech Consultant, Journalist
A+ Technician
http://www.rustysmith.com

In the car, I'm sure you'll agree that if the air moving over my body
is at a lower temperature than my skin, it will cool me, regardless of
how it got to me. And if the vents directed that air over my body better
than open windows, the vents would cool me better. (A car isn't a computer,
of course: A computer doesn't have outside air rushing past at 6o mph.)
 Same deal with the computer. If you can draw air through the case that's
cooler than the components, it'll remove heat from the components.
The question is whether air moves over the components better in a case
that's closed and employs a fan or a case that's open. (Chilling of components
a la air conditioning wasn't part of the original equation and of course
doesn't happen without special equipment -- there are a few Web sites
describing some pretty clever overclockers' approaches to doing that.)
I don't know the answer. But given the case and fan designs I've seen,
I'd trust a closed case to cool critical components by drawing room-temperature
air over them before I'd trust an open case relying on convection (the
power supply fan is useless in an open case except for the power supply)
and radiation.
Probably the thing to do is put a larger fan next to the open-case computer
moving a lot more room-temperature air over the whole interior.
Adding chilling may become necessary as component heat generation rises
-- maybe manufacturers are already thinking about it. Dunno.

--
bob raikes

----     Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
[Non text/plain message body suppressed]

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com