From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 08:21:35 -0500
It sounds like you are saying that your system does not have any sort of
case fan; so, the only fans for removing the warm air from the enclosure are
those in the power supply.  If I'm understanding this correctly, your theory
that this is causing more fan noise makes sense to me.  Most power supplies
have a temperature controlled fan; so, they will run faster the hotter they
get.  Also, the motherboard may have a similar feature for providing a
temperature controlled chipset heatsink (if it has a fan) and the
processor's heatsink.  I wouldn't be surprised if this Asus motherboard has
this feature available.

You can use the Asus PC Probe utility to monitor CPU and system temperatures
and CPU fan speed.  Although it won't show the speed of your power supply
fan (unless the P/S has a fan speed connector that you you can connect to
the motherboard), you should see how the the system temperature is gradually
climbing, even with the system is at idle, and hear how the fans are getting
louder.  The CPU fan speed indicator should let you see whether this fan is
being temperature controlled as well.

As a minimum, I would look for a case with a good sized exhaust fan on the
back.  I prefer a 120 mm fan in the back because they can run more slowly
(and make less noise) while still doing an adequate job of moving air.  If
the case you are using has an openning for a back fan, simply adding on will
be helpful.  Intel has encouraged another design feature for case designers
to incorporate, which is a side port with an air guide (just a kind of tube)
that is to be located over the processor.  The idea is that this allows the
CPU fan to pull in cool air directly from the outside.  This is effective,
though not a necessity and not found on all cases.

I would recommend something like the Antec SLK1650 for a system like the one
you are assemblying, but this comes with a power supply, and you already
have one.  Their SLK 3000, which is a slightly bigger case with a door on
the front, is available from places like NewEgg in a version without a power
supply.  This might be a better fit with your needs, if you are happy with
your current 350w power supply.  They are both about the same price.

Unfortunately, many of the less expensive cases only come with a power
supply (though of dubious quality, in my opinion), and I'm not familiar
enough with some of the brands that are offering these inexpensive
enclosures without a power supply to be able to recommend one.  On the other
hand, I frequently use Antec cases and power supplies and that is why I
mention them.

I hope this is helpful.

John Sproule