From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 1998 06:32:42 -0600
At 12:18 PM 5/14/98 -0800, you wrote:
>On 13 May 98 at 22:29, =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Dante_D._Lo wrote:
>
>>         This post is an answer for Tom and Earl that asked the
>> model of my Sound Blaster card.
>>
>> It's a Creative card  (In my manual says "CT 2779").
>
>  The closest I can find on Creative's Web site is CT 2770.
>
>> It has an IDE connector, but in the manual says
>> that only PANSONIC or CREATIVE CD-ROMs can be connected to it,
>> nevertheless I tried to connect my CD-ROM there, and... nothing :-(.

I believe that this must be an older SoundBlaster Pro or, at best, an older
model SoundBlaster 16.  As the reply above says, the connector on these
older cards may look like an IDE connecter, but they do not work with IDE
CD-ROMs.  These cards were made in the days before IDE CD-ROMs when there
were several competing types of interfaces.  I still have an old
SoundBlaster 16 somewhere in one of the computers around here that has one
of these connectors and a jumper to make it accept one of three different
interface "standards", Sony, Panasonic, Mitsumi.  If your manual says that
the connector will only work with Panasonic and Creative CD-ROMs, then it
probably means it and it will not work with any IDE CD-ROM.  In all this, I
am assuming that your CD-ROM is a newer IDE model?  In this case, the
safest and best solution would be to get an IDE card that goes into a slot
and will support two IDE channels (also assuming that such a card will be
accepted by the BIOS in your computer).