From:
Biwu Yang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 16:59:49 -0400
At 06:34 AM 10/14/98 -0700, you wrote:
>A friend brought me a system in which the motherboard password is enabled
>but he's forgotten the password. As a result, on boot up, when you hit 'DEL'
>to get to the CMOS setup you're presented with a small screen that asks for
>the password. Since we don't remember the password we're stuck there.
>Is there any way to work around this problem and disable the password so
>that we can get to the setup menu?
>Richard.

In late model motherboards, there is a jumper on the motherboard that let
you "clear" the CMOS setting, including the password.  Some motherboards
have a clear mark for the switch, some don't.  The best way is to see the
manual (came with the computer or download from the motherboard
manufacturer).  Before you try it, however, you need to power down your
computer.  I have seen several types:

1. two pin, no jumper as default.  You put a jumper on it and wait for 10 to
15 seconds, remove it and restart the computer.

2. three pin, jumper is on "normal" position as default.  You move the
jumper to the "clear" position, wait for 10 to 15 seconds, put it back to
"normal" position and restart the computer.

3. dip switch.  Same operation as in 2.

Clearing CMOS will delete all the settings so you will have to set the CMOS
after you restart the computer.  Except for the hard disk setting, you
typically don't have to deal with other settings in the first round.
Therefore, you should have the hard disk parameters ready (cyliner, sector,
etc.).  If the CMOS setting has HDD Auto Detection option, you can let the
CMOS to set the hard disk.
Regards.

-- Biwu Yang

                                  -----