From:
Brendon Schafer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:34:21 +0200
Kevin

Sometimes the line between what is hardware and what is software is too
fuzzy, especially when it comes to utilities and device drivers that are
there to make the hardware work (better or differently) in the first place.

I've never used PM so I can't say if it is better or not. I use a product
call BootIT NG. You can download a trial version from
www.terrabyteunlimited.com . The more I use it, the more I like it. I'd
suggest you read the help file that comes with it before you do anything
else as it can be tricky to setup.

Another word of caution, install BootIT into it's own partition - it will
ask you during install - it will create an 8Mb partition for this purpose
(which I'm sure you can spare). For your windows partitions, Create a
Primary FAT32 partition for Windows and an Extended Partition for your Game,
Data and Backup partitions (Which I guess is all for Windows) and create
Logical Drives in the extended partition for those purposes.

For the Linux install, you may prefer to have Linux create it's own
partitions during the Linux install. You can create these inside of BootIT
as well, but I prefer not to. Be very careful with Linux though and maybe
install this before you install Windows. It doesn't really matter if you are
experienced with Linux though. I've had different problems installing the
different Dists, especially with the creation of the partitions.

I'm not sure of the price, but when I finally registered it a few months ago
it was a lot cheaper than PM. (I also got a shock when I saw the price in
our local currency).

I'm quite sure though that FDISK can handle >10Gb partitions, but others on
the list can confirm this.

Also, if you are using Linux, it does come with it's own partitioning (boot
management) utility that can also create FAT partitions. I haven't used this
utility for this purpose. Maybe others can help you on this if needed.

Cheers

Brendon

Disclaimer clause about my having no affiliation to BootIT NG or
terrabyteunlimited or any of their affiliations inserted here. Just a happy
customer.

BTW. I wouldn't trash XP for Linux just yet. Linux has a way to go still. I
also hate the idea of Activating your software, 'cos I have a habit of
trashing Windows at least 3 or 4 times a year (or maybe Windows trashes
itself) and can't bothered with that. However, if the need to upgrade arises
sometime in the future (and it will - trust M$ to make W98 obsolete soon)
I'll take the plunge, but not while I'm still stuck with this slow machine.
<end of rant>

<snip>

G'day folks,

This isn't really a hardware issue, but I'm sure that some of you have
had the same problem.

I have built a new system, (thanks to your help, and much to my
surprise) using a 20Gb x7200 HDD,  and successfully installed Windoze.
Then I added another 40Gb x7200 HDD.

My intention was to split the capacity into 10 gig partions to handle
W98SE / Linux / Games / Data / Backup / etc. - but of course, FDISK
can't  handle such large partitions, - or can it?

"No worrys" ,  I thought, - I'll buy 'Partition Magic'
The shock came a little later when I found that, in my Country,
'Partition Magic 7' costs more than my 20Gb harddrive, but a little less
than my 40Gb.

I will say that PM7 is designed for Windows XP, and I have no intention
of ever using that OS, ( = therefore my Linux partition.)

 I welcome your thoughts and suggestions about an alternative Partition
System.

Kevin Neal,
New Zealand.