From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:08:51 -0400
I use manual "data switch" style monitor, keyboard and
mouse sharing boxes.  I am very pleased with them.
If price is not an issue by all means get an electronic switch,
they work better at higher resolutions and monitor size, and
they have convenience and safety features.  Aside from the
quality of cables you use, manual switches degrade picture
quality for resolutions above 800x600 and for monitors over
15".  I use them with 14" monitors and I never worry that the
switching is causing excessive wear on the monitor.  It's not
like I cycle the switch 40 times a day.  There main benefit to me
is footprint, since they allow one work space to manipulate 2 to
4 systems.  If you have a large 19" or 20" inch monitor and you
like good picture quality at high resolution, I would invest the
200.00 you are likely to spend for a good electronic switch and
high quality cables in a cheap 14" monitor for the second system.
Put the savings toward some cheap network cards.
Tom Turak