Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:34:32 EDT
In a message dated 08/17/2003 12:31:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Date:    Fri, 15 Aug 2003 23:25:56 -0700
> From:    Tim Athias <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: serial ATA controllers
>
> Is this a new type of SCSI interface?  How does it work?
>
> Tim Athias

Serial ATA controllers can be built into a motherboard using a separate SATA
controller chip or can be on a PCI card. Drives using these are limited to the
133-MBps of the PCI bus. Full speed SATA requires a motherboard with SATA
support in it's core logic (the Intel 865 and 875P (Canterwood) chip).  Serial
ATA drives offer several advantages over parallel drives. Drives using the first
generation of the SATA interface can reach 150 MBps. By 2007 that rate will
climb to 600 MBps. Serial ATA drives transfer their data at high speeds over a
thin 7-wire cable allowing for more airflow inside the case. The interface is
a cousin to FireWire and USB 2.0 which also use thin serial cables. Parallel
drives also need to be configured either in a master/slave configuration or
cable select, if supported, while Serial ATA drives have no jumper settings
because they each use their own cable.
Hope I'm on the right track Tim, as speedier throughput and increased airflow
are your major advantages.

Chris Ryan