From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:17:07 -0400
I don't know if this is the same situation, but I ran into similar
difficulties when I tried to upgrade my system with a 8800GT video card.
Turns out that the 8800GT's backward compatibility with PCI-E v1.1 didn't
really work with the motherboard that I was using (an Asrock 775Dual VSTA).
I ended up upgrading the motherboard in my system in order to use the new
video card, though after the fact, EVGA made available a new firmware that
apparently fixed this issue.  As far as I know all subsequent 8800GTs
included this firmware fix.

In any case, this sounds like a compatibility issue between a relatively new
video card and an older motherboard.  While the card should provide the
backward compatibility to work with any PCI-E video card slot, this doesn't
always seem to be the case.  All you can do to try to confirm this is to
throw out a wider net with Google and see what you can come up with.  I'd
search for anything to do with 9800GTs and motherboard compatibility issues,
and I'd see if I could figure out what manufacturer and chipset the Gateway
was using, in order to see if any issues match up with your system setup.

John Sproule