From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 20:18:33 -0700
John

From your previous message and this one, my thought is that the most likely
cause is a hard drive that is starting to or has gone bad. It could be
mechanical or it could be some bad sectors and/or files. And as long as you
have the case open, there are other things you can check first or which you
might have already checked.

Make sure the power and data cables are firmly connected to the hard drive
and the motherboard. If the IDE controller is on a card, remove and firmly
reseat the card. Make sure ALL the cooling fans are operating and fairly
clean. Retry computer.

If the computer recognizes the hard drive in the CMOS/BIOS, try booting the
computer with the Windows XP installation CD. Go through the steps as if you
are going to reinstall XP. Early on in the process it will determine that XP
is already installed and will give you the option of "repairing" rather than
"installing" XP. Have it do the repair. It's been a while, but I think it
then restarts the computer and XP using the hard drive even though the
installation CD is in the CDROM drive. The XP installation includes a
compatibility check as one of the first steps and it might give some
hint(s).

If this works, run an up-to-date virus scan ASAP and, if you have a program
such as Norton Disk Doctor, run the equivalent of scandisk/chkdsk to check
on the health of the hard drive. It could be starting to go bad. Then run a
defragmentation program (take a well earned break while it is running).

If the hard drive checks out OK, your thoughts on the power supply could be
on target. Also, although unusual, the motherboard or RAM could be giving
out. I've had a motherboard go bad over time and I've heard of RAM going
bad. The RAM is used randomly as needed and a bad/weak portion of the RAM
could produce problems only when it is used. I've never heard of a properly
cooled CPU going bad though it probably happens. Depending upon your time
constraints, patience and access to other computer(s) and/or components,
everything can be checked through trial and error. However, it might be time
to bite the bullet and take it to a computer repair shop.

I hope this helps. I'm sure you will receive more suggestions from other
members also trying to help.

Tom Mayer