From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:48:37 -0800
On 14 Sep 98 at 17:54, Monica Veith wrote:

>         I wish to know the differnece between dimm ram and sdram.

  DIMM (Dual Inline Memory Module) is a standard for packaging
dynamic RAM on daughterboards.

  SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) is the current preferred implementation of
DRAM for PC use.

  You can buy DIMMs with SDRAM on them.  You can also buy DIMMs with
EDO DRAM on them, and some SDRAM DIMMs are rated for "PC100" while
others are not.

>         Also, I have a P 166 MMX with 32 mb edo ram
>
>         I would like to know which of the above two rams would fit in my
> machine.
>
>         My computer has one long black slot for the new type of ram and
> 4 for edo ram

  Since you're using EDO already, we can assume that adding more EDO
will work.  EDO is available in both 72-pin SIMMs (as is older FPM
RAM -- the physical shape/size has little to do with type) and
168-pin DIMM (as is SDRAM).

  The real deciding factor is going to be the chipset used on your
motherboard.  From your description, odds are good that this is
either Intel's 430TX chipset, or Via's VPX.
  The 430TX supports SDRAM, but I'm not certain it will support
mixing that with EDO.
  The VPX boards that I have used have claimed to support any
combination of FPM/EDO/SDRAM; I prefer these to the TX boards.

David G

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**