From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:48:41 -0400
>    Do you know of any way to PREVENT the BIOS from being "Flashed" in the
> first place?

        Well, many of the boards out there have a jumper that prevents flashing of
the BIOS. Unfortuantely there is a false sense of security in this. Take my
board for example, the ASUS P55TVP4. It has a jumper that lets you enable or
disable flashing. However, it also mentions that this jumper's function is
dependant on having a flash chip that requires 12V to program, if you have a
chip that will flash with 5V the jumper is irrelavent! To prove it to
myself, I checked what chip it was, it turned out to be 5V, I set the jumper
to disable flashing and then tried to flash, worked without problem! The
BIOS was updated and now shows a newer version. So in my case there is no
hardware defense to this sort of malicious code. Now the fact that I am
writing this proves I wasn't hit, just thought I'd mention that.

> BTW this thing is generating all kinds of new thoughts on MOBO/BIOS/HARD
> DRIVE technology.  Sure glad we have PCBUILD!!!!!

        Agreed, this list is turning out to be one of the better ones I read. TTYL

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>