From:
Dennis Dittmar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 03:47:48 EST
In a message dated 01/23/2002 12:25:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
<< I  I have done some research, but it is not clear, how or when and if
"Partitioning" and "Formatting" is required.  Which comes first Partitioning
or Formatting or is this a combined operation. The Computer is a Compaq Desk
Pro.  I opened the cabinet up and could see a 10 GB hard drive and one other
that I couldn't tell the size of.  How should I proceed from here?   Any
comments would be appreciated.

first you need a 'boot floppy' which you can download from the PCBuild site
(thanks guys). When you boot the machine with this floppy you will get a
short menu where you should pick the option (#1) to boot with CD support.
Then when you get a prompt you would type Fdisk and that program will run
from the floppy to 'partition' the drive(s) into whatever pieces you want.
The first 'C' will obviously be the one to make active and bootable. If you
decided to break them up into other pieces d,e,f etc.. they are just active
partitions. You then 'format' those partitions using LBA FAT32 since its a
'large' drive, it will ask you this when you start the program.

Dennis Dittmar
maspeth ny
a small town in queens

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: