From:
Phillip Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2013 11:37:18 -0500
Update,

After spending most of the night researching, I've decided it's going
to be a bit much for a newbie with no familiarity with network
terminology to pick up wireless intricacies from one spot so I decided
to start with a hard-wired network connection for now.

 I've connected the two PCs and they apparently see each other since
the message is the same on both... "Local area network-limited or no
connectivity. This problem occurred because the network did not assign
a network address to the computer".
 In details, the physical addresses are different, the subnet mask is
the same and in the IP addresses, the first two groups of three
numbers are the same but on the desktop PC the 3rd and 4th groups have
three numbers each and the laptop has two each.

 I found in the internet protocol properties where I can assign Ip
address, subnet mask and default gateway. Should I fill these in? And
with what? I tried the "Obtain an IP adress automatically" but saw no
change. And should I fill in the same numbers on both computers?

 Also on this screen are options to fill in preferred and alternate
DNS servers. Do I need this as well?

Gone back to school!
Phil

On 4/29/13, Phillip Williams <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello All,
>  I've been working on setting up a wireless network with one
> PC(laptop) being used to control programs running on the other
> (desktop).
>
> I've managed to use a usb drive to set up a network between the PCs
> but am not able to send invitation for assistance to the laptop. The
> help files say that for remote assistance, I must use either Windows
> messenger or outlook express. Messenger asks for log-in info (email
> address and password), but I've never used messenger on this pc
> (desktop) and it doesn't connect to the internet. I imagine outlook
> also requires internet connection.
>
> Is remote desktop different than rem. assistance? If so, where do I find
> it?
>
> I'm probably guilty of over-kill since I have the desktop connected to
> a wireless router and also have a usb wireless adapter connected to
> it. The usb connection is strong but the network (I think) I set up
> between the computers shows no connection.
>
> I realize I"ve probably got more things to deal with than just finding
> Remote desktop, but as I've previously mentioned, I'm new to
> networking and can use any and all tips I can get!
>
> Phil

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>