From:
Jeff Kemper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 18:52:29 -0700
No, this doesn't mean your vid card will die.  I believe in the VIA chipset,
and have been extremely happy with it and the Nvidia GeForce vid card.  I
was the original poster of the GeForce 1 Hercules 3D Prophet DDR-DVI 32meg /
SOYO m/b problem.  I have since replaced the motherboard, which it turns out
was the original problem.  I truly do not believe that overclocking killed
the board, as I wasn't pushing anything too hard.  My memory bus was at
105mhz, my FSB was at 140mhz, my PCI was running at 37mhz, and the AGP was
running at it's normal 66mhz.  Truly, the only thing I was pushing was the
processor, and it's still rock solid.  I do not overclock my video card, as
I do not want to go to the trouble of cooling my case and having a loud
machine in my bedroom.  To replace the original m/b, I went out and found
the same SOYO m/b, the 6VCA.  At least it was $16 cheaper a year and 3
months later.  Why did it die?  Who knows....power surge, one too many times
banging on the case to get the front panel to go on, I looked at it cross
eyed one too many times.

However, I will advise if you want to run in high resolution with 32bit
color depth, get an Nvidia GeForce card with DDR ram.  It will retain the
FPS while the MX card, even with 64meg, was a dog in comparison.

Thank you to the board for helping me troubleshoot.  Your opinions helped,
and I appreciate it.