Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 01:28:54 -0800
On 27 Dec 2001, at 13:41, R Shane wrote:

> I have a system that uses this router to communicate with an IBM
> AS/400. The error I am getting is "adapter ram failed memory test"
> and the adapter handler doesn't get insalled. This system is used
> to transfer sales orders and right now we are having to manually
> input, alot of extra work. Question is is there a work around for
> this problem? I am unable to locate the card locally. Don't really
> want to spend alot of time and resources whereas by the first of
> Feburary we hope to have the sales force converted over to be able
> to use palm pilots and laptops. The system is operating in a DOS
> enviroment. The card has 8k of memory installed. Is there a way to
> maybe fool the computer/router and remap the memory into the system
> memory. If there is no way to work around this problem, any
> suggestions as far as a replacement. Out of a dozen or so business
> computer/network shops I called, only tweo guys even knew what I
> was talking about.
> TIA
> Rob Shane
> Infinty Web Services
> www.infinitydotcom.com
> ICQ# 3433125

  I've never used a 5250 emulation card, but I did use an SNA/3270
emulation card for a while, and a few other strange bits of hardware
under DOS with similar structures.

  The thing is that the memory on the card is a "buffer" space,
addressable from one side by software (which *might* not be too hard
to redirect to another address), and from the other side by
*circuitry on the card*, which interfaces to the communications link.
 Redirecting that circuitry to some other memory would *at least*
require rewriting a ROM, and even then the necessary bus interface
circuitry might not be present.

  Bottom line is, I think you have three basic options:

1.  Replace the card.  5250 is an IBM terminal standard (you did
specify AS/400...), so perhaps your IBM support rep can help.

2.  Repair the card by replacing the failed memory -- this is
probably even harder.  You *might* get lucky -- if the memory chips
are socketed, one or more may have worked loose due to
heating/cooling with each power on/off cycle, and so re-seating them
in their sockets *might* correct the problem.

3.  Try to get enough laptop support for one station working sooner
than February....

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com