Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 14:54:25 +0100
Hi, I don't know for certain, but when I had a very similar problem some
time ago with one of my projects, it was suggested to me that I do a bios
flash.
It turned out for me that I didn't need to do that in the end, as, luckily
for me, it was a second hand m/b, and the previous owner had already
undertaken the necessary upgrades, which I was aware of.
With my problem however, the bios WAS recognising the drive which was 10g,
but I had to delete the unknown partitions, which weren't being recognised
by the FDISK commmand on the windows disk. I downloaded a free program
called DELPART.EXE from the net which had no problems finding and deleting
the unknown partitions.
In your case, however, I would double check to make sure you have all of
your settings in the bios set correctly, and if it still hangs, I would
consider a bios upgrade.
It sounds that yours may be an older m/b which isn't able to recognise the
bigger drives available nowadays.
This may or may not help.
Michele Sayer

Does anyone know what I need to do to use a 40gb drive on this mb? When I
use autodetect...it just hangs at the primary master and never recognizes
the drive. Do I need to update the bios?

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com