From:
Tony Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:54:10 -0700
I am reporting back on my results with resetting the NT Administrator
password.
My original plan was to install a new version of NT on a separate hard
drive, copy the SAM file from C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.  This didn't
work quite as smooth as I had planned.  So instead, I installed a second
  NT on my main hard drive.  I was planning on copying the old SAM file
and "extracting" (cracking) the password from it.  Then, during my
research, I found that if you erase or move the SAM file from it's
original directory, on the next reboot, Windows will rebuild the SAM
file with Administrator and Guest accounts.  Both with blank passwords.
So, that's what I did and I have full access again :)

Tony Mayer
Sysop
The Magic FunHouse BBS
http://bbs.magicom.net

PS: This may not work for everyone in every situation, but it sure
worked for me :)