From:
Andrew Raaberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2007 14:03:13 -0700
i built my first pc not long ago, and extremely impulsively... now i am paying the price.

  it is not really that bad, but i chose a rather unpopular system so now i am having a difficult time finding the documentation i need,

  this system is an amd dual fx-74, with two bfg gts 8800's factory oc, with 340 ram? apiece.

  the board is an asus l164-sli ws it has features that i still don't know how to use, like the two gigabit rj-45 ports, i use one...

  the vga's are hot, the cpus are hot, the psu is hot, the system doesnt crash, and i am glad i bought vista now that i have learned that it has numa awareness that may benifit this set up,

  but it heats up the room it is in, i am worried that during the winter when my family uses the heater i wont really be able to cool this thing at all

  right now it oscillates between 46-56 C, thats the cpus and board,

  i have three chasis fans 2 120's and 1 80. the psu has a fan, the cpus use the stock coolers

  that are just operaton variety, copper, i think four heat pipes and a heat sink,

  my chasis is a full tower and has various ports for water cooling but i am not convinced that this is the solution i am looking for

  1. cost
  2. probably a custom set up, cost,

  and yet the dream of possebly cooling this thing, all of it, to around 35-45C, quietly is what keeps me wondering.

  i guess what i need is some real facts about how much heat a cooling system is capable of dissapating in preportion to the systems audibilty...unfortunately, because of cost, trial and error just wont work with this project, so i need to study hard to try to minimize it, should i just start with a text book on thermo dynamics, ugh?

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads