From:
Jorge Ocasio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 07:12:19 -0400
At 07:43 PM 5/26/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Please correct me if I am wrong.  I understand that this stuff works
>sort of like a screen saver and downloads bits of data to analyze
>as it gets a chance.

Yes, your right there.  You d/l the screen saver, then it downloads a
portion of the data SETI has stored.  In contrast to the total SETI has,
what you get can be considered a "bit of data".

>It is not a  batch download, i.e., you can not download a bunch of
>data at one time to be analyzed over a period of time.

Since you get your potion all at once, it is a batch d/l.

>In my case, as I see it, I would have to leave my modem on and
>connected for this to work.  As I share my modem with the
>rest of the telephones in my house, this would not be acceptable.

You don't leave your modem on all the time, at least, not for this program.
 You can configure it to ask your permission before uploading the results.
Once done it will download the next set of data.  Mine has been running on
and off for a week now and is only 15% complete.

>Have I got it straight??  It is really only for those with dedicated
>net connections, right??

No, you don't need a dedicated connection.  The only problem you may have
is if your system is behind a firewall.  The software won't work behind a
proxy with a port number other than 80.  They said that this will be fixed
in the with version.

Jorge Ocasio

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html