From:
Bruce Lund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2011 15:08:47 -0700
eMachines D2880 running Windows XP home. Intel Motherboard had been replaced with HP 090 CL about a year ago which caused numerous problems that might have culminated in the crash that precipitated the current issue. I did a non-destruct reinstall of windows.

First off, I would like to apologize in advance for not having all my ducks in a row here. I had copied and pasted some system information from a pre-crash Belarc Advisor report related to my network but I left it at home on my computer. (When I went to disconnect my thumb drive, Windows didn't want me to and I subsequently forgot to try again, so it is still attached to the aforementioned computer that does not have internet access. But I digress.) Anyway, the following is from memory so I am sure I am leaving some stuff out and will likely get some of it wrong, but if anybody can at least point me in the right direction, I might be able to get this up and running with some specifics missing.

Neither my sound or internet access were working after the reinstall, but I was able to get the sound working by having the wizard search my computer for the appropriate software. However, no such luck on my network card. On the device manager, I get both an exclamation point and question mark. I really have no clue what software I need or who the hardware manufacturer is (it did not show up on legacy Belarc Advisor report) as it was original installation. (If need be, I can open things up and look.) Windows wants me to go online to search for appropriate driver, but I can't get online via my broadband. BTW, I have the original disk that came with the computer, but the wizard does not seem to be able to find the appropriate software in there and I have no clue how to find it.

Again, I apologize for not providing more information but I am obviously not at my computer and and my computer access time if limited.

Note that my computer does recognize the fax modem on my computer, so that might be an option if 1) I can get free temporary dial up and 2) I knew where to connect.

In sum, I would think that what I need should be a) already on my computer, probably in the recovered file folder that was created automatically when I did the restore, b) on my restore disk or c) online somewhere, which I am assuming (hoping) the wizard would find if I can get a dial up connection.

Any help would be more than appreciated. I am dying without internet access.

Bruce

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml