Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 19:40:22 -0800
Some feedback to the list.

I did purchase the 500GB Fantom Drive from buy.com at $149.95 after a $20
rebate. The drive arrived 2 days later. My decision to buy was based on
favorable user comments on other capacity Fantom brand drives. I was
pleasantly surprised that internally it is a Western Digital drive with 16MB
cache.

The usb case is a very clean design with a rocker on/off switch in the back.
The size of the case is a bit larger than the other drives I have, but not
by much. It is considerably smaller than the Western Digital USB external
drive package. As I write this, the drive is still being formatted to NTFS -
it comes pre-formatted to FAT32, but Fantom recommends reformatting it to
NTFS for Windows XP users (I agree).

Unfortunately, the $20 rebate ended on February 13, the day I ordered it.
However, I have seen these rebates appear repeatedly, so watch for future
sales.

In my searches for an external case, I found a vendor near me in the San
Diego area. Check out www.geeks.com for external cases. They have good
prices and a good selection. If I had not purchased the Fantom drive, I was
preparing to get another case for one of my spare 160GB drives. I especially
like the AP35-U case that is only $15.95. I currently have two of these
cases that have been in use for a couple of years with no problems.

Peter