From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:07:53 -0600
At 06:01 PM 08/24/2000 , you wrote:
>I have a 3 year old IBM Pentium 350 that is having problems...  Does anyone know how to
>get into the Registry of this machine?  I have tried DEL and F10 and Alt F10 but nothing works...
>
>Why don't they have a Standard way to enter any Registry on any machine.. Why do they
>try to make things so
>difficult?

First, the registry is a Windows95 or newer item that consists of the
User.dat and System.dat files.  The term you want is the "CMOS" settings of
the Bios, sometimes still referred to as the "System Setup."

Today, [DEL] is the standard to open the CMOS.  But for a long time
there were all sorts of schemes to make this a mystery.  I listed nearly
all the key codes to enter the CMOS in my "Troubleshooting Basics"
edition #4 on our web site.   http://nospin.com/pc/ts001.html
Try pressing [ F1 ] during the Boot process...   this should work.

Here is the list you will find there:

You can try this options, as I believe they are a fairly good representation
of all the options used at one time or another:
·Press del during boot (AMI, Award).
·Press Esc during boot-Toshiba.
·Press F1 during boot (Toshiba; some Phoenix; Late PS/1 Value Point and 330s).
·Press F2 during boot (NEC, newer Phoenix).
·Press F10 when square in top RH corner of screen (Compaq).
·Press Ins during boot-IBM PS/2 with reference partition.
·Press reset twice-some Dells.
·Ctrl Alt Enter-Dell.
·Ctrl Alt ?-some PS/2s, such as 75 and 90.
·Ctrl-Esc
·Ctrl Ins-some PS/2s when pointer at top right of screen.
·Ctrl Alt Esc -AST Advantage, Award, Tandon, older Phoenix.
·Ctrl Alt +
·Ctrl Alt S-older Phoenix.
·Ctrl Alt Ins (Zenith, Phoenix)
·Ctrl S (Phoenix).
·Ctrl Shift Esc-Tandon 386.
·Shift Ctrl Alt + Num Pad del-Olivetti PC Pro.
·Setup disk-Old Compaqs, Epson (Gemini), IBM, IBM PS/2, Toshiba, old 286s.
·Fn+F2. AST Ascentia 950N

    Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: