From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 20:15:08 -0700
Tim Gauldin wrote:

>Since then I have no sound nor do I even have a speaker icon in the systems
tray anymore.
>What the heck is causing this.

Well, for one the thing you have a Dell and for another, you have a
proprietary system that I suspect you loaded Windows 98 on without the "Dell
software CD." This is to be expected. When you install Windows 9X, it
doesn't know what sound setup you have and may not install any drivers at
all. This is common.

I would temporarily set aside the problem and if you have the Dell
Installation disk, search through it for the sound drivers. I would
recommend using Windows Explorer. No,Not Internet Explorer. I think you will
find what you're looking for under drivers. There may even be an .exe file
there that will install the necessary drivers.

One way to check this out would be to open My Computer then open Control
Panel and then open Sounds. Click on a sound and if all is well, the arrow
next to browse should be black. If it isn't, then the sound drives are not
there. If it is black, click on it and it should disappear momentarily and
reappear again. If this be the case then I would suspect that you may not
have the speakers connected correctly. Usually in the Sounds and audio
properties there should be a choice the place a speaker icon in the tray.

As for the other problem,
> "Could not load device driver ntkern.vxd CODE 2". I suspect that this is
platform specific to Dell. When I install the operating system, the first
thing I do is install any motherboard specific utilities such as the .inf.
After this I do all of the necessary patches and bug fixes for the OS and go
from there.

>Does anyone know a solution to this. :(

What I suggested may work. At this point I don't know. I would as a matter
of course start with a clean install and go from there.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: