From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:15:57 -0700
Although I use both types, I recommend an external if you don't mind the
extra space it occupies. Here are the advantages of external:

1. no question of compatibility with software - winmodems are internal and
will not work with all operating systems and software

2. easy to move to another computer if needed

3. does not create additional heat inside the computer

4. if lightning strikes a phone line, it is less likely to damage the
computer if you are using an external modem - this happened to a friend of
mine and he will never use an internal modem again!

Just my thoughts. Others may have different opinions.

Peter Shkabara
http://pesh.what.cc