From:
Paul Duthie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:19:23 +1000
Hello Julie,

JS> If I understand you correctly, there are 2 possibilities:

JS> 1. The dimm slot won't take anything bigger than 32mb.
JS> or
JS> 2. It won't take pc100 (the module I now have is 32mb pc66)

A third possibility is that the motherboard will not take double sided
DIMMS or that it won't let you have SD and 72 pin in the same
motherboard.

JS> I borrowed a 32mb dimm (pc100) and replaced my 32mb (pc66) module with it
JS> and something really strange happened: On boot up it showed 32mb which
JS> would mean 4x4mb simm + 16mb dimm. So again only half of the dimm module
JS> was recognised.
JS> I was unable to get a 64mb dimm pc66 to check possibility No.2 but what
JS> I don't understand is why there's no error message at all. Surely there
JS> would have been an error message if the module speed was wrong?
JS> Instead everything booted up as normal except it would recognise everything
JS> in the 4 simm slots but only half of the dimm module.

Welcome to the wonderful world of memory and motherboard problems -
most motherboards won't give an error if they can't recognise the
speed of the RAM. I have several motherboards that if a higher speed
chip is put in them will not even boot. As this is booting, I would
suggest that the motherboard cannot recognise double sided DIMM's.