From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 19:16:03 -0700
I did upgrade the firmware and was wondering if that added to my problems.
To check things out, I booted back to NT and installed the old software.
Went through two new CDR disks with both of them failing to record. CDRW
disks work fine. It appears to me that either the firmware upgrade did
damage, or the drive has failed - at least in the CDR mode rather than the
CDRW mode.

The drive is only about a year and a half old (I know, ancient by PC
standards) and has not burned but maybe 12 disks total. This is not a good
sign if it fails that soon - not a good investment at all. Anybody have
comments on HP CDRW drives vs. something like Sony or Ricoh? I am starting
to loose faith in HP.

Peter Shkabara
http://pesh.what.cc