From:
"Steven J. Wolfe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 11:35:18 -0700
Lets say your Computer has to talk to your modem before it can go on the
internet. The speed at which the computer talks to the modem is 115,200 or what
ever speed  you have set the port for. After your computer talks to the modem,
the modem then relays the information to the other modem, on the other end of the
phone connection, for accessing the Internet. This speed which is called the
(DCE), or modem to modem speed will be lower than the (DTE)115,200 port speed,
since the quality of phone lines will decrease this speed dramatically. Thus with
most modems, you can add the AT command of ATW2 which will report to you, the
true connection speed of your modem to the one that gets you online. Several
isues now come into play to establish the Modem-modem speed. Number one phone
line quality, if in your modem to modem connection you go through more than one
analog to digital converter, distance from the phone companys switching
equipment, over 3-miles will prevent a 56k connection, and so on. Generally most
people who are lucky enough to even achieve a 56k connection, which is anything
above 33,600 bps. usually connect in the range of say 44,000-50,000 anything
above 50,000 would be excellent.

I have noticed that since the invention of 56k modem, modem manufacturers have
changed the default handling of this message to show 115,200. Used to be they all
would show the true connect speed, but now the default is for the higher port
speed. After all it sounds better to say.... WOW I get 115,200 connections rather
than the true speed which will be much lower.

If you would like more information on this and other modem topics, I would
suggest http://www.56k.com , or http://www.modem.com

Steve Wolfe.....

Susan Hays wrote:

> << hence the need to set the computer-modem speed higher than the modem-modem
>  speed). >>
>
> Now I am a little confused.  What do you mean by modem-modem speed?  And
> computer-modem speed?
>
> Susan Hays

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html