From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:57:57 -0400
I'm getting invalid page faults and bsod, probably due to bad
memory a few minutes after booting.  Had this problem with CENTON
memory before, this time it worked fine for almost 3 months.
Memory is pc2700, 512 mb, same as original (have 3 other chips
with BRAVO logo),  but cas/latency may be different.  Haven't
tried switching memory slots yet.  ASUS mb, P4 3.0.  Removed the
chip, pc is working fine.  I'll run a few memory tests to try to
confirm chip is bad when I have time.

Mark Rode wrote:

> I have never seen freezes caused by bad memory. When you have bad memory
> you get either failure at POST, or spontaneous reboots in windows. With
> modern motherboards, overheating a CPU, will result in a automatic
> shutdown, not a freeze.
>
> With a freeze, the first thing I would suspect is the video driver, or
> video card, or something related to it. Video cards, and drivers, cause
> freezes. First I would try new video drivers. If that didn't help I would
> put a new video card in ...any old PCI card would do. If the problem
> disappears then think about a video card replacement. But if the problem is
> still there, start thinking about the motherboard... maybe try more
> conservative BIOS timing settings, moving PCI cards around, remove cards
> one at a time and see if the problem goes away.
>
> Good luck
>
> Rode
> The NOSPIN Group

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: