From:
Earl Douglass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 10:45:50 -0800
As a network administrator who has installed network cards on dozens
of machines, I have seen that symptom many a times from PCI based
cards running RJ-45 based cable (twisted pair). It is not that the
mouse "hates" the network card, nor is it a sign of an IRQ conflict;
it is just a sign that you are not correctly set up on the network.
You must have complete connectivity to the hub and a running network
to use the card without conflict. Be sure to:
1) check all of your cables along your route from machine to hub -
most network connectivity problems stem from the wire not making full
contact with the wall jack (if using a "female RJ punch jack"),
improperly wired jacks (colors not matched) or improperly wired
connectors (again, colors not matched-if crimped by the user). Most
network cards have three indicator lights on the back (exposed) end of
the card, if two of the lights are not lit when you turn of the
machine, you do NOT have network connectivity and will get the mouse
freeze up as mentioned. (First light being the card correctly
installed on the machine, second light being connection status to the
network, third light being data transmission from/to network to
machine).
2) check that your network settings are compatible with the rest of
the network; if using Win95/98/NT and NetBEUY (very simple network
protocol) make sure that your Workgroup name is consistent with the
rest of the network. If using TCP/IP, check your IP address to insure
that the number sequence is consistent with the rest of the network.

Earl Douglass

>Lindstrom, Rick wrote:

<snip>
>> Apparently, the mouse hates the network card and freezes in place
at some
>> random (and usually short) time after the machine is booted.
Removing the
>> card doesn't then solve the problem- the mouse still freezes.
Removing the
>> network card and reinstalling the mouse driver gets things moving
again.
>> After a freeze, I managed to get into the mouse properties in
Control Panel
>> and found gibberish in the place where it was supposed to say
"Microsoft
>> PS-2 mouse".

<snip>

>> Rick,
>
>Did you check if there were any IRQ or I/O addressing conflicts. If
not, check
>the Device Manager in the Control Panel for available IRQ and I/O. We
usually
>use IRQ 10 and I/O 340. It also may help to install the Kingston
Drivers from