Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 20:46:29 +1300
Thanks for your response Jeff.

No, the label is very short on info - hence my query to the group.

It just shows 4 boxes labelled 'SY-200W', 'SY-230W', 'SY-250W', 'SY-300W'.
Normally one of these boxes would have a check mark in it, but there are
none.

The only other info is the legend: Input Voltage 90 -135 VAC, 180 - 270 VAC,
Frequency 47 - 63 HZ.

There are 3 other smaller labels: a date label which HAS been checked with a
red marker, a yellow label with 'HI-POTED' on it, and another label marked
'T9707552 A'.

From what you say, the method of determining the capacity of the PS is more
trouble than it's worth, so I won't worry further about it.

Again thanks.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

From: "Jeffrey Madore" Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Power supply query

> Ian,
>
> Does the power supply label indicate current capabilities for the various
> available voltages? If so, determine the power capability of each voltage
> source: P(watts) = E(voltage) x I(current).
> The sum of the individual power values should be close to the overall
power
> capability of the supply.
>
> If there is no nameplate information and the manufacturer can't help, I
> would default to the lowest rating to be on the safe side.  Testing a
power
> supply for power capability would require several resistive load banks,
> ammeters, voltmeters, temperature monitoring of components, etc. More time
> than the unit is worth, imho...unless however you are interested in
digging
> in to learn about the inner workings of the supply to advance your own
> technical knowledge - that could be time well spent. I have seen some
> schematic diagrams on line and heard of some hams converting PC supplies
for
> radio use. They are an interesting device.
>
> Just beware that several hundred volts can exist around the first
rectifier
> stage. Making contact can be lethal. Filter capacitors can also store a
> charge and cause a shock hazard even when the line cord is disconnected.
>
> HTH,
>
> Jeff Madore - K1LE - CT ><>.shtml

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml