From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 02:34:30 -0500
Try Googling "RedHat 7 Compaq Model #" and you'll probably get some
hits. If you know the chipset and hardware you should be able to find a
solution.
I've installed several Linux versions without major difficulty on my
K7SEM ECS AMD SIS board. My approach would be to start the install and
solve problems as they appear. You may be pleasantly surprised. You can
download Fedora 4 free at: http://fedora.redhat.com/
See also: http://www.linuxhardware.org/
There's a hardware forum at:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=18

[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Greetings all!
>  I have a never-used version of Redhat 7 which I am considering  building a
> basic system to install and try out. I first considered installing it  on a
> Compaq computer which is in need of re-formatting but was afraid of the
> propriotary conflicts associated with manufactured pcs. Plus I have software  which I
> use often which will not run with Redhat. So...
>  In choosing hardware (mobo, disc drives, modem, etc.), are there
> compatibility issues I should take into concideration? For instance, some cd  drives
> come with software which I suspect may not run with Redhat and wonder if  drivers
> would be in conflict as well.
>  Since this is an older version, The couple of sites I have found  don't
> offer much info on compatibility and I'm hoping some of you may have  first-hand
> experience or know of a link with pertinent info.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml