From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 13:19:57 -0800
On 22 Sep 98 at 23:06, S. Shea wrote:

> On 21 Sep 98 at 8:21, S. Shea wrote:
>
> > I am setting up a 2 machine network at home in order to share
> > files and a cable modem. One machine is running Win NT Server and
> > Win98 and the other is running Win NT Server and Win95. I have been
> > able to browse the network to see the machine running 95 but cannot
> > ping that machine even though I am using the correct ip address. At
> > no time have I been able to access any files on the machine whether
> > it is running 95 or Server.............................
>
>   Lots of questions...
>
> Here are a few answers........10Base2 BNC and properly terminated...no cable
> problems evident..........

  Okay, good.

> There are no hubs, crossovers, etc. being used.
> Installed protocols are TCP/IP and NetBEUI.

  Right, okay.

> The IP address and subnet mask is correct and checked on each machine
> through ipconfig.

  Correct?  [If you tell us the numbers, we can tell if they're
workable or not; if you just tell us they're "correct" we have only
your word on it.]

> No gateway settings.

  Doesn't seem to me you should need any, if the address/subnet
settings really are correct.

> No HOSTS/LMHOSTS.

  So you are trying to ping by IP address, right?

> Although I have not been able to ping the other machine the nic
> card activity from the receiving machine suggests that packets are
> being received but none being returned (this is the machine that
> formerly had the cable modem attached). Reciprocally this machine
> is not able to ping my machine but is able to see it when browsing.

  Sounds to me like you have physical and maybe NetBEUI connectivity,
but no TCP/IP....

David G

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**