From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:48:15 +0000
Hi Vankat--

I must agree with Tony, given that the hardware changes are limited (too many changes and activation will be required. MS has a "point system" to determine this, though I don't know how many points are assigned to which hardware components.) When the repair option is used, corrupt or damaged files are replaced, but Windows also creates a new hardware abstraction layer to accommodate the different hardware components. I have had occasion to execute this procedure when I have swapped a motherboard, and the computer undergoing that surgery functioned just fine at the completion of the process. It also did not need to be re-activated. You will, of course, have to re-apply any patches and service packs from the Microsoft Update web site.

HTH.

Paul A. Shippert
-----------------------------------
and I'm hovering like a fly
waiting for the windshield on the
freeway." Genesis
-----------------------------------

From: Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
> Original msg.
>
> <<<<< Venkat - I'd have to respectfully disagree - one may install the
> replacement drive and run the "repair" option from the Win XP CD which will
> correct any hardware discrepancies and allow the existing Win XP installation to
> be used.
>
> Tony Mayer>>>>
>
> Hi Tony,
>
> very sorry i was not aware of this...... but still not sure whether the "repair"
> option applies to such situations. (having no occassion to do this so far)
>
> for example, if i have winxp on HDD X on mobo Y and connect the same HDD X to
> mobo Z and boot from win xp cd and invoke the "repair" option will it complete
> setup??
>
> somehow i was under the impression that the "repair" option will only take care
> of corrupted o/s files by deleting them and replacing with good ones!!( i have
> seen setup going through "hardware config" etc, etc, and thought this was to
> ensure the hardware was the same)
>

> anyway you must have first hand experience and i don't....... so i accept.
>
> TKS A LOT  for the correction----Venkat
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>