From:
Tom Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 23:43:26 -0500
You DO NOT need a router.

It depends on how many computers are on the network, as to how you would
set things up, though. If you have just two computers, you can run the
ethernet cable out of the cable modem (which is usually an external
device) into the crossover connection on the switch and then run a cable
out to the two computers and you will be able to access the internet, as
well as each of the computers.

If you have more than two computers, you would have to have two network
cards in one of the computers (the main one). It can be running Windows
98/Me/XP, if you want. You would run one of the ethernet cables out of
the cable modem, into a network card on the main computer. You would run
another ethernet cable out of the other network card, into the switch
(crossover or #1, usually). From there, you could run ethernet cables
out to your other computers (I have four others on my network).

If you're running Windows on the main computer, you would run the
network wizard to set which NIC has access to the internet and which one
accesses the home network. Then, you would have to run the network
wizard on the other computers, so that they would be set up to access
the internet through another computer on the network.

You would want to set up a software firewall on the main computer, for
obvious reasons. Once you set up the shared directories on all of the
computers, you should be able to transfer things from one computer, to
another.

As far as the Novell 6.1 server, I have no idea, but someone else might,
if you'd rather go that way.

   Later!
     Tom