From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:30:22 -0800
  Virtually all 100 Mbps switches are 10/100; most 10/100 hubs actually have
a small switch inside that separates the two speeds.

  The ideal solution would be to get a 24-port 10/100 switch and plug all of
the computers into it.  I believe Dell sells a reasonably-priced unit.

  Failing that -- and taking you at your word that you're satisfied with the
performance of the existing hubs -- you could get a 4-port or 8-port 10/100
switch (LinkSys, NetGear, or whatever) and plug both existing hubs into it.
(These connections will be from an "uplink" port on each hub, OR using a
*crossover* cable, unless you get one of the new auto-sensing switches.)
You might later connect a router to one of the open ports on this switch to
put the whole classroom on line, if you get a DSL or cable connection or
something similar.
  You *could* use a router instead of a switch for this, but in small/SOHO
devices your choices are going to be

(a) a two-port router that doesn't leave any way to add an Internet
connection, or

(b) a "multiport router" that is actually a 2-port router and a switch
inside the same case, of which you are, for now, only using the switch
portion.

  You haven't mentioned where the PCs get their IP addresses from.  The
switch approach lets a single DHCP service supply addresses for all of the
PCs.  The router approach adds a fair bit of complexity that you don't need.

David Gillett

                          http://freepctech.com