From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:31:41 -0600
We have at least three dual processor systems in the Network Operations
Center here at The NOSPIN Group.  I know that we definitely did not realize
a 100% increase in processing over a single chip system of the same speed,
although the systems are certainly faster.

One significant issue is with the programs that you run.  For an application
to take advantage of multiple processors, it has to be "multithreaded", that
is, it has to have the capability to be "split" into multiple parts that can
run simultaneously or almost simultaneously.  You'll probably find that most
programs that you use aren't multithreaded, although a lot of new
graphically challenging games (like Quake III and others like it) are.

All is not lost, though, because most multiprocessor operating systems
(including Windows 2000) can use multiple processors efficiently by
assigning different tasks to different processors, in effect "balancing" the
processing load between processors.  In our situation in the NOC, that's
generally where we see the most improvement in performance.

Without knowing exactly what applications you'll be using, if they are
non-multithreaded, you could see as much as a 50% increase in performance.
If the applications are multithreaded, then you might see something
approaching a 100% increase, depending upon what other areas of your system
those applications impact.  As a seat of the pants estimate, I'd say that
our web server runs about 50% faster and the mail server is around 75%
faster than before.  But those are systems that perform no graphical
operations and have relatively slow processors (366MHz and 233MHz
respectively), so they are not bound by video or disk bottlenecks.  If your
applications are video or disk intensive, you may see lower performance
increases.

Hopefully that helps!

Drew Dunn
The NOSPIN Group, Inc.