From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:32:24 -0700
On 29 Sep 2005 at 0:53, Amy Ledford wrote:

> In order to use file and print sharing, you will need
> to disable firewalls,

  Most firewalls have a way for you to *configure* them to allow traffic you
want to allow, without disabling them entirely.  You do NOT want to enable
file sharing to the Internet -- that's how many worms spread!

  What you want to look for is a setting that lets you tell the firewall
what network addressing you're using locally, and that this network is to be
"trusted".  I think the built-in XP firewall assumes this about the locally-
connected network automatically, but I think I remember having to explicitly
tell Norton Internet Security to do this once.

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml