From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 23:07:03 -0600
Bruce;
If your operating system is windows 9X
hook up the "new" hard drive as a slave (D:)
and use the     XCOPY C:\ D:\ /R/I/C/H/K/E/Y
command from the run dialog box within windows.
This copys all files -  in use, hidden, read only, etc.
Takes under 1/2 hr. even on large drives.
Quicker if you delete windows temp. files and temp. internet files and any
other junk you can dump first.
Sometimes you have to make the new drive partition "active" from fdisk,
but otherwise the new drive usually boots right up.
I have used it every few days for the last several years.
I have used most of the drive copy software out there,
but this is the most reliable and simple way to clone win 9x hard drives.
I'm lazy and just keep a text file on a floppy with the xcopy command,
I just cut and paste into the run box, and away we go:-)
For win2k  I have Ghost 2001, haven't tried it yet, but the big
boys say it works for cloning drives.